Skip to main content

Two-digit Numeric Display - Final


Photo by Nick Hillier on Unsplash


In this post, I’ll continue the two-digit numeric display. If you miss it, click here and check it out. To finish this project, we just need to show the numbers in the matrix-pixel (the black-box in the 6502 emulator). To kickstart, our instructor gave us one example of how to display graphs, which was a lot helpful.

The first thing that I’ve noticed was the bitmap table at the bottom. So, I mimic it and made ten tables like that to represent each number (zero to nine). So far, so good! Then I grabbed the logic to display one digit, and then my nightmares just started. How to place two graphs (one for each digit)? How to switch from one number to another? How to reuse code? Where is my coffee?!

To emulate some if-elseif-else statements, I used jmp (jump). They are all over the place! However, the 6502 limits the jump range from -127 to 128. That means moving the code-blocks to satisfy all jumps limit. For example, the “main” moved down, and the “draw_lft” is above “main.”

Now the last problem is how to select the correct bitmap when the number changes. I tried arithmetic shift left, multiply by 64 and others, but no luck. Then I gave up and implemented that long compare-and-jump. It worked, but this is not elegant at all. I know that using arithmetic shift left and multiply by 64 works because the bitmap tables are stored continuously in the memory, so starting from the “num_0” I should be able to navigate to the correct digit. I just couldn’t deliver it.

Assembly has limitations. And I have it too. The simple fact that I couldn’t make a simple if-elseif-else statement discouraged me. Perhaps I have to change my mindset to work with such low-level language. See you in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Stage 2

Photo by  SpaceX  on  Unsplash Hey! Were you curious about the results of profiling AWK ? Me too! Quick recap, what is profiling, and how to do it? Profiling is a technique to map the time execution of each part of the application. We can add instrumentation to the executable, or use interruption sampling to generate that map. Here, I’ll use both. Click here for more details on profiling . For the instrumentation, we have to tell the compiler to add the tools needed to collect the execution data. So, I’ve changed the “makefile” file, CFLAGS variable with “-g -Og -pg” and ran the make command. Then, I just ran the awk the same way I did to benchmark it. Here is the command line: ./awk 'BEGIN {FS = "<|:|=";} {if ($8 == "DDD>") a ++;} END {print "count: " a;}' bmark-data.txt This awk version, instrumented, generates a file gmon.out, which contains all execution data. This is the raw material to create a profile report using gp

Assembly?

Photo by  Jonas Svidras  on  Unsplash Last week on my SPO course, I had my first experience writing Assembly code. I won’t lie; it was struggling. For me, Assembly is like the Latin of the codding languages and “carpe diem” wasn’t my first lesson. Hexadecimal, binary and a list of instructions is a must know to guarantee survival. Our instructor introduced us to the 6502 processor: it is an old school chip that was used in many home solutions such as PCs and video games. Internally, it has three general-purpose registers, three special-purpose registers, memory and input and output ports. Fortunately, there are emulators on the internet that helps us to focus on the development, hiding the electronic part from us. http://6502.cdot.systems/ Using the emulator, our first task was to copy, paste and execute a piece of code to change the colour of every pixel in the display matrix. That was easy! The result was a yellow screen. Then we were asked to introduce so

Two-digit Numeric Display

Photo by  Nick Hillier  on  Unsplash Hi! I'm continuing my blog about my SPO classes. After a brief introduction in Assembly, we are good to hit Lab3. Our instructor kindly let us choose one project out of five. And of course, we decided to go with the easiest! We had to do a two-digit numeric display where the numbers are incremented or decremented by pressing plus and minus key in the keyboard. Soon the challenges were reviled as we dive into how to code it. Should we treat every digit separated or together? How to print them into the display? After a moment of reflection, we decided to handle the digits independently to facilitate the printing display. Also, we had to add a bit-map representation of the numbers because the 6502 chip doesn’t know any font. In this post, I’ll show you the code with the logic to increment and decrement without displaying anything. You can monitor the address $13 and $14 to make sure that it is working. Let me expla